Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Summer Strawberries

In an attempt to “wish” summer into being this weekend, I decided to experiment with my own version of strawberry nail art. There are a few things I’ll do differently next time, but this was a good first attempt, I think.

I used Avon’s new formula of base/top coat this time, and look – no bubbles! They’ve now gone to a “big three free” formula, so you may be seeing more of that brand here soon. I like to support my Avon lady when I can.

I started with 1 coat base coat, then 2 coats of China Glaze “Red Pearl”, which was far closer to an actual strawberry color than the “Strawberry” polish I have, ironically. Then I used China Glaze “Emerald Sparkle” to create some leaves, though they didn’t turn out quite like I’d hoped. Next time, a toothpick or small brush, I think. I used Nubar nail art pens for the “seeds” (gold) and outlining the leaves (black). Then two coats of Avon top coat.
There’s a Strawberry Festival here in June that is basically a huge street fair with an incredibly huge strawberry shortcake as the main attraction, and chocolate covered strawberries that are absolutely huge. My mom and I go every year, and I think I’ll try this design again for that, with a few modifications.

Next time, I’d like to use gold bouillon beads for the “seeds”, and make the leaves quite a bit smaller. On the index fingers, I’d like to paint a white or brown “dip” on the edges to make them look as though they’re dipped in chocolate. Look for that one in early June…Happy Polishing!

0 comments: